Wednesday, November 9, 2011

GOOGLE ENCRYPTING SEARCH

Google has caused quite a ruckus in the search marketing community after it announced some changes to search.Last week, the search giant said that it would begin encrypting looghes in search that users do by default, when they are logged into Google.com. This further integration of a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) will prevent search marketers from receiving referral data from the websites consumers click on from Google search results.

While this change is only supposed to affect a single digit percentage of referral data, many SEOs are not happy with the move and believe that Google has gone too far.Eric Enge the Founder and President of Stone Temple Consulting told us that he was completely “baffled” when he saw the news

“I hate to say this about Google because they’re a company that I admire and like and respect, but I think this is evil,” she said.

“Google is taking something away that is a very, very valuable tool for anybody practicing SEO,” Lieb added.

I have learned more from the referral data that comes into the that lets me benefit the user – I won’t have that data to mine, “ she said. “Personally, it will make it harder for me to (a) understand what the performance of my pages are and (b) to learn from my pages.”

Google has said that it did this in order to make search more secure, but the SEO community doesn’t agree. Enge told us that he didn’t recall any outcry from privacy organizations in regards to search term data and, therefore, is not convinced that security was Google’s real motive. If this were the case, he thinks that Bing and Yahoo would have had to make changes as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment